Vidya Poker is coolnames' vision of classic video poker gameplay, enhanced with modern styling and features.
Hot Streak 🔥
Cold Streak 🥶
Gain hot-streaks by winning consecutively!
Unlock companion Toons as you win!
Get the Game
- Vidya Poker v3.1
(Out of Early Access)
- Steam Cloud is now implemented and saves all player stats and progress to the player's Steam account.
- BUG FIXES:
- FIXED ➡ While playing in Double or Triple Bonus game modes, earning a 4 2s, 3s, 4s W/ACE,2,3,4 with an Ace as the kicker card now pays out diamonds properly.
- Vidya Poker v3.0
- New Stat tracking system implemented. All player stats from Steam players are maintained; Spent Diamonds are now REFUNDED when loading the game for the first time. All customization unlocks are reset to default.
- ACHIEVMENTS ➡ New Achievement added for 'Unlocked All Toons'
- ACHIEVMENTS ➡ New Achievement added for 'Unlocked All Toon Skins'
- KEYBOARD ➡ 'Q' Key ➡ Cycles Quality levels.
- MOUSE ➡ Right Click ➡ Triggers DEAL/DRAW button during poker gameplay.
- MOUSE ➡ Thumb 1 Click ➡ Replicates pressing 'Esc' on Keyboard or clicking on the Back button in UI.
- MOUSE ➡ Scroll Wheel Click ➡ Toggles Auto-Play.
- OPTIONS ➡ VFX Quality combo box added to increase performance on lower end systems and mobile.
- OPTIONS ➡ Screenshots will not be available to the player if Steam/Steam Overlay is NOT running.
- All mention of "Money" is now changed to "Coins"
- Player now has the ability to Reset Gameplay Stats, Coins Stats, and Diamonds Stats, each independently.
- HOLD/HELD text above cards is now 3D with black contrasting bevels.
- Tooltips added for descriptive information for certain UI elements.
- Notification text can now be shown in the top left corner of screen when triggering a Quality or Auto-Play change.
- NEXT and PREV buttons when in customization menus are now disabled when the player is focused on either end of displayed list of items.
- Blur effects for UI elements/background are now affected by Quality setting.
- Attempting to select a card when the player is not able to, the DEAL button text will pulse a red color.
- When the round is over, Pulse the DEAL button yellow.
- Toon uses HOT animation when in the Customize Menu
- Removed 'HIDE' toggle button for Paytable during play.
- Player Stat tracking for most favorite Poker type and Toon now tracked.
- Design for Bankrupt notification has been updated.
- SFX ➡ Ice sound plays when losing a hand in a Cold streak.
- SFX ➡ Counting of Winning Coins AND spending of Diamonds now has varying pitch for a unique feel.
- Toons now have realistic lighting when in High and Med Quality settings.
- Toon now is color tinted depending on Hot / Cold mode player is in.
- On lower quality, change cubemap tint on skysphere when in cold/hot.
- Removed old UI assets from packaged project.
- On LOW quality, changed all fire VFX to low shader impact version.
- Reduced casting of BPs almost entirely in project.
- When in Hot streak, launch fireworks to the left and right of Hot/Mult text, making them more visible.
- BUG FIXES:
- FIXED ➡ Mouse controls are no longer being treated as Touch Input, increasing accuracy and enabling ToolTips to be used for Hover functions.
- FIXED ➡ Cards no longer fall infinitely when falling after Deal/Draw
- FIXED ➡ SFX for payouts of coins/diamonds and when purchasing unlocks now play audio clearly and consistently
- FIXED ➡ Transition time of music tracks between Hot/Cold/Normal has been reduced.
- FIXED ➡ New Player, Game opens in default Windowed mode.
- FIXED ➡ New Players now have the correct default Card Back selected on first play
- FIXED ➡ When returning into gameplay from the Main Menu, when in COLD mode, ice effects are now orientated properly on cards.
- FIXED ➡ SFX for MainMenu button in Pause UI is now functioning properly.
- FIXED ➡ Last selected Toon Skin is now maintained even after changing Toons.
- Vidya Poker v2.4
- AUTO PLAY ➡ Toggling Auto Play will have the game play itself autonomously.
- SCREENSHOTS ➡ Toggling option to automatically capture screenshots in Steam when earning a hand with a 7x win multiplier or a rare score.
- CARD BACKS ➡ New designs are now available to be unlocked and used.
- KEYBOARD ➡ 'A' Key ➡ Toggles Auto Play during poker play.
- KEYBOARD ➡ 'A' and 'D' Keys ➡ Cycles through selections when in Customization menus.
- KEYBOARD ➡ Space Bar ➡ Selects item when in Customization menus.
- MOUSE ➡ Scroll Wheel ➡ Cycles through selections when in Customization menus.
- WHAT'S NEW ➡ Button now on Main Menu to showcase news and patch release notes.
- AUTO PLAY ➡ Toggle button under DEAL button during play. A progress bar is shown showing the timer remaining before a new hand is dealt.
- CUSTOMIZATION ➡ All customization menus are now rendered in 3D and unlocks are presented in unique ways.
- CUSTOMIZATION ➡ The 'Select' button is now hidden when switching to an already selected Toon or Card.
- ICONS ➡ New Question Mark icon for 'How to Play' buttons.
- READABILITY ➡ Added black stroke around Game Type button text during poker play.
- HIDE POKER UI ➡ Now includes the hiding of all UI elements (except menu button and winning score text).
- HOW TO PLAY ➡ Instructional information updated to include new features.
- Sound now plays when app is not in focus.
- Special types of '4 of a Kind' scores are no longer added to the '4 OF A KIND' stat. Each is now unique.
- BUG FIXES:
- FIXED ➡ When diamonds are counted after a winning hand, SFX no longer trigger an extra time.
- FIXED ➡ During gameplay, rotation of Toon is no longer affected by FPS drops.
- FIXED ➡ All UI elements are no longer 'focusable', preventing inadvertently triggering things when pressing Space Bar.
- FIXED ➡ Viewing the 'How to Play' menu during poker play is now readable.
- FIXED ➡ Resetting player stats no longer resets coins, diamonds, nor achievements. Achievement progresses for multiple scores *are* reset.
- FIXED ➡ After resetting player stats, the player's win/loss streak is reset now.
- Vidya Poker v2.3
- HOT STREAK / COLD STREAK ➡ New 3D text and animations for current Hot or Cold Streak status.
- CURSOR ➡ New larger mouse cursors.
- PLAYER STATS ➡ 4 OF A KIND bonus hands indented for clarification.
- HOW TO PLAY ➡ Updated information regarding Keyboard controls.
- HOW TO PLAY ➡ Updated information about earning Diamonds with Aces and Hot Streaks.
- FADE ➡ Music now transitions slowly between tracks when entering/leaving Hot and Cold Streaks.
- BUG FIXES:
- FIXED ➡ Bug where extra Diamonds earned during a Hot Streak were not being saved.
- FIXED ➡ Bug where a player could select discarded/falling cards if quick enough after a DRAW.
- Vidya Poker v2.2
- INTRO VIDEO ➡ coolnames video added 😎
- ACE HANDS ➡ In non-hot streak, diamond payout = paytable mult
- HOT STREAK ➡ Multiply Diamond payout with Fire intensity level
- HOT STREAK ➡ Multiply HOT Multiplier into coin payout
- HOT STREAK ➡ Winning hand with Aces has +1 Diamond payout
- OPTIONS MENU | PAUSE MENU ➡ Access to Video options in to change Resolution, Fullscreen and Vsync
- HOT STREAK ➡ Show fire intensity level for payout multiplier
- MENUS ➡ New Button Icons
- Version number and username in corner of viewport
- Keyboard Support ➡ Escape Button ➡ Exit Menu or Toggle Pause Menu
- Keyboard Support ➡ Space/Enter ➡ Deal/Draw Button
- Keyboard Support ➡ 1 - 5 Keys ➡ Card selection
- Vidya Poker v2.1.2
- BUG FIX ➡ Current Diamonds and Diamonds Spent now are properly saved after buying an unlock.
- UI ➡ PLAYER STATS ➡ Removed 'Profit' and 'Times Bankrupt'
- Vidya Poker v2.1.1
(Initial Public Release)
- Steam Integration:
- Player statistics now fully tracking for Player Stats screen in-game, for Steam achievements, and Leaderboards.
- 60+ Achievements for players to work towards.
- 4 Leaderboards to compare score progress with global players and friends.
- Progress towards achievements is periodically shown to the player at appropriate intervals.
- New video trailer released for Store Page and also on YouTube.
- Game Features:
- New art for logo, icon, and splash images are implemented.
- Streamer Mode implemented. Changes background during gameplay to a matte green color to enable it to be keyed out for streamers and content creators.
- New currency -> Diamonds. Used to unlock all visual customizations in the game. Players earn Diamonds by earning a winning hand that includes Ace cards or from any winning hand when in a Hot Streak.
- Card customization added. 3 design schemes for the Face of the cards are available. 4 Back designs are available.
- New Toons added. 28 total companion Toons and their skins are available to unlock and use.
- A 'How To Play' screen with the rules and features of Vidya Poker is available to the player on the Main Menu and also in the Pause menu when playing. The same information is available on the Steam Community Hub of Vidya Poker as a guide.
- When a player returns to playing, they return to the Hot Streak / Cold Streak state that they last played at.
- New Menu designed for unlocking Toon styles and Toon skins.
- All UI elements now properly scale and position when the viewport is resized.
- Removed the ability to change the amount of Money being Bet each hand. The player always bets 25 Money now.
- Primary currency changed from US Dollars to a generic coin for future localization optimization.
- Bugs Fixed:
- The player using the RESET button to reset stats no longer resets user options for sound.
- The second hand played after exiting a Hot Streak no longer triggers the audio stab twice.
- Payouts are no longer able to be skipped until after any won Diamonds are done being counted.
- Game music is functioning properly now when the player changes from a zero to a non-zero volume value.
- Known Bugs:
- Total played time stat tracking is not correct. Hidden from the player till fixed.
- Audio SFX during an unlock purchased with Diamonds is not consistent and fights for audio channels.
- Cards fall infinitely if game is left idle after cards physics simulation is turned on.
- Vidya Poker v2.1
- Main menu music's volume is now correctly adjusted by the Music Volume slider in the Options Menu.
- SFX for transitioning from Hot Streak / Cold Streak now has proper user saved volume from Options Menu.
- Menu button on gameplay screen was moved to top right corner to be accessable by phones with camera cutout.
- Whale pet's size reduced to prevent clipping during animations.
- Yeti pet removed.
- Unused plugins assets cleaned out of project.
- Vidya Poker v2.0
- New 'Pets' added: King, Queen, and Jack.
- Lightning now spawns as an effect when a card is touched during normal gameplay. Effect changes when in a Hot Streak.
- Main Menu music has been added.
- The Ace cards in Set #3 were modified to have an aditional small 'A', to maintain visual uniformity with the Face cards' design.
- Announcer voice SFX no longer repeat "Hot" or "Cold" when a hand progresses into a longer winning/losing streak. New variations spoken at the end of a Hot or Cold Streak hand are implemented.
- Fire effects shown behind cards when in a Hot Streak are now animating properly.
- Firework rewards at the end of a winning hand were tweaked to be more visible to the player.
- The fire particle effects shown when in the longest win streak are no longer reloading after an additional winning hand; they stay loaded.
- All looping audio tracks are now seemlessly looping.
- 'Pet' skins available to the player have been reduced down to 10 for each 'pet'.
- Total package size on disk has been reduced by over 50%, while still adding new content.
- All smoke effects have been removed from particles to increase performance and save on install footprint.
- Vidya Poker v1.9.2
- Fixed a bug on mobile where textures were being displayed with a green emissive glow on initial load.
- Fixed bug when player goes Bankrupt, goes to main menu, then back to gameplay, the cards were not in camera view.
- Total Play Time has been removed.
- Pets and pet skins added to game. All pets have unique animations that fire depending on gameplay criteria.
- Gameplay level/map visuals completely revamped. Mountains and cloudy sky replaced with a colorful space skybox and dynamic clouds that the player/camera move through during gameplay.
- Clouds lerp to different colors when transitioning into and out of a hot/cold streak.
- Cards now have fire particle FX shown when a hot streak is earned.
- Cards now have an ice/cracked texture and icicle static mesh overlayed when a cold streak is earned.
- Modified Set 3 of card textures so that face cards are more easily differentiated.
- Main Menu items repositioned to better make use of mobile screen space.
- Added card animations. Newly dealt cards are dropped vertically into place. Drawn cards are rotated into position. Discarded cards have gravity enabled and fall out of the player's view.
- Added higher quality music with track variations.
- Music changes upon transition in/out of hot/cold streaks.
- Added ability to multi-select cards. Selection soundFX changes pitch incrementally on multi-selection.
- Play now flys around in a spline loop in the level. Movement direction is backwards, so that firework rewards and falling cards are more visibile to the player.
- Vidya Poker v1.6.1
- Changed the way the cards, fireworks, and player persepective are structured, enabling them to be manipulated accurately with automation.
- Cleaned function hierarchy which had some conflicts and redundancies causing gameplay and player statistics bugs.
- The number of times the player has gone Bankrupt is now tracked.
- Added a "are your sure" prompt for the player when clicking the Reset Stats button.
- Changing poker game type also cycles the sky's visuals.
- Cards, fireworks, and player's perspective are now all locked together, maintaining uniformity during any movement/manipulation. Once fireworks have been launched, they are no longer attached to the player's view and are now under the normal gravity/physics rules.
- Locked objects and sky now rotate independant of eachother and at different rates. With the mountain landscape stationary, this achieves a closer natural sense of distance/depth.
- Changed poker level's visuals with a higher detailed cloudy sky and a basic mountain terrain extending to the horizon.
- The sun on the horizon casts God Rays when the cards, mountains or firework particles obstruct the light path. This is enabled when playing Jacks or Better poker.
- The selected card HOLD visual has been updated to accept more manipulation of color and glow intensity.
- Card selection by the player was tracked by the card's location in 3D space. Selection is now tracked by several internal variables that enable the cards to be moving/animating anywhere in the level and still maintain functionality.
- The DEAL/DRAW button now changes to "SKIP" when processing a payout. The player can click it to complete the payout animation and SFX to continue playing.
- New MAX BET button implemented. It will set the bet and bet multiplier as high as the player can afford, with a max at 5 for each. The button will always try to maxmize the highest bet multiplier value, to yield a higher payout for the player.
- Attempting to bet more than the player can afford, SFX play and the current total money flash red, alerting player to change their bet amount.
- Game now reacts to a player reaching zero money with a bankrupt screen, allowing the player to go back to the main menu or re-buy in an additional $1000 and continue playing.
- There is now an About button on the Main Menu screen with game version and developer info.
- Vidya Poker v1.5
- Bug fix for data being saved but UI not updating when switching back and forth from Main Menu and Play screens. (Bet amount data maintained but visually resets to $1)
- Play UI is no longer destroyed when leaving play screen. UI is now just hidden.
- New player stats items added: Winning Hands %, Total Game Time, Profit.
- Total Game Time now refined to only track time between actually gambling and not idle time. (When player clicks DEAL -> payout complete)
- Player Name now on Stats screen. Will hook into name retrieved from OS account name or similar.
- Implemented visual screen transitions when going from Main Menu and Play screens.
- When triggered, screen transitions animate to a black screen, then animate oppositely to reveal the desired screen.
- Screen transition type is displayed randomly when initiated, but always animates oppositely on the next screen reveal. Revealing with a different random transition was jarring.
- Added Fireworks to background of Main Menu screen.
- Main Menu items and logo animate on initial display.
- Added more SFX: Main menu greeting, Player Stats reveal numbers incrementally and play a sound with modified pitch, new card select sounds.
- Vidya Poker v1.4
- Mouse use is now simulating touch.
- Can now tap -> drag to select multiple cards. This has made the game feel more intuitive and fun.
- Created Tutorial screen in Photoshop showing all the winning hands possible for people not familiar with Poker scoring.
- New Player Statistics UI displaying information derived from all the tracked data being gathered.
- Fixed many bugs with how the statistics were being derived.
- Fixed the way data was being saved for specific information (on game load, after button clicks, winning hand earned, etc)
- Added 3 new card back materials to visually represent each of the poker game types.
- Multiple new UI screens implemented: Main menu, Pause menu, Player Statistics, Tutorial.
- Vidya Poker v1.3.1
- Tracking data through SaveGame mechanic. Initial use implemented.
- 4 total poker game types implemented now. A button at the bottom left of the screen switches between them.
- Paytables are updated on poker game type change.
- Particle effects added under finger/cursor when a card is touched. Currently rudementary but functional.
- New SoundFX implemented. Male announcer for winning hand type. Synth sounds for types of winning hands and button clicks.
- Vidya Poker v1.3
- Reduced the 'quality' of the primary firework particles. Was too visually overwhelming and resource intensive on phones.
- Further tuned the scoring logic to work correctly. Some hands were not properly scoring.
- Bet Amount and Bet Multiplier now implemented as buttons at bottom of screen. The multiplier selected updates the paytable.
- Payout animation is now playing a SoundFX that incrementally increases pitch and color to futher represent magnitude of winning.
- Player now prevented from selecting cards as they are being dealt.
- Vidya Poker v1.2
- Expanded backend scoring to support a large extended list of possible winning hands i.e. 4 of a Kind with Kicker.
- Kicker card logic added to differentiate 4 of a Kind hands.
- Player is now notified if the initially dealt hand is a winning hand: the item on the paytable is highlighted and a soundFX is played.
- Bet amount is now user selectable.
- On a winning hand, the payout money is visually counted at $1 increments.
- Fireworks now spawn at a rate that coincides with the value of the hand the player earns.
- Vidya Poker v1.1
- No longer setting cards to be destroyed on round complete. Instead, cards not being currently used by the player are just not viewable/interactable.
- Initial scoring scheme implemented: Jacks or Better.
- Visual paytable for scoring implemented into UI.
- Added fireworks as visual reward when a winning hand is earned.
- Prevent player from pressing Deal/Draw again while cards are being dealt.
- Vidya Poker v1.0
- Created stand alone project for a 5 card video poker type game.
- Environment is 3D using Unreal Engine with cards floating, rendered in 3D space.
- Basic functionality for dealing hand implemented.
- Tracking rank and suit of card dealt.